As 2010 drew to a close SEOmoz gave us plenty of festive cheer and seasonal goodies for our December blog roundup. As a respected SEO company based in France we already use and integrate a lot of the tips and tricks SEOmoz praises into our daily office life. It is however gratifying to hear we’re on the same wave length.
A collection of some incredibly useful tools to assist in your day to day SEO lives. With tools to help in link building, social media sites and data presentation you’ll find something you didn’t think you’d need but can’t live without now.
Says exactly what it is in the tin.
9 top tips for effective link building –
• Hide behind content strategies
• Be approachable
• Know the basic of sales
• Mining for information
• Get smarter about guest blogging
• Paid links work
• A robust profile, not just a robust link
• Understanding diminishing returns
• Keep up with new tips and tricks
There is no ‘get rich quick’ tactics to effective SEO, the cold hard truth is that you need to graft to build up effectiveness. It is explained rather well in this quote –
The Mathew effect, when applied to networks, basically equates to well connected nodes being more likely to attract new links, while poorly connected nodes are disproportionately likely to remain poor
In fact, it has been proposed that « the rich get richer » effect drives the evolution of real networks. If one node has twice as many links as another node, then it is precisely twice as likely to receive a new link.
A look at the effect of Google’s adding sitelinks to Google Adwords a year on. Results, Google Adwords response seems to have dramatically increased whilst organic search decreased.
Brief overview on what’s been happening on the net during 2010, as well as December’s SEOmoz Linkscape update report.
How to generate external links directly to your products and categories pages; typically an E-commerce site’s hardest achievement we look at how it might be done.
Excel For SEOs: Manipulating URL Strings with Functions
A brief preview to a guide on how to best use Excel in SEO – some useful tips.
A look at what Google may be using in order to rank sites, are we ignoring some obvious opportunities?
How effective and to an extent what effects has Google’s recent Location Changer option to SEO.
1. People are keen to search – Those thinking that social networking would kill off browser searches were wrong.
2. Social and Search are interconnected – Social networking is influencing Google and therefore SEO
3. Mentions can trigger indexing and crawling – strong evidence suggests that if a site is mentioned on a respected forum but isn’t unfortunately linked Googlebot will still recognise it.
4. Bing and Yahoo are not a Google killer
5. There’s new search engines still emerging – Among those in SEO, Blekko is by far the most interesting as it starts to open up about how it calculates rankings.
6. Google is very intent to compete in local space – Since trying to buy out Yelp last year google has been hot on adapting their sites to be more ‘local friendly’.
7. Google is still struggling against link spam manipulation
8. SEO companies still have a lot to convince – Estimates reveal that $20 billion will be spent on online marketing next year with only 15% being spent directly through SEO companies.
Some creative solutions to common problems encountered by SEO marketers
A list (in no particular order), of the top 10 web apps used by those in the know.
• Google Analytics
• Google website optimiser
• Google webmaster tools
• SEOmoz Pro
• Bit.ly Pro