Relevance Web Marketing rounds up the latest SEO and online marketing news in last month’s SEOmoz blog. As usual, we’ve picked out the best articles to draw your attention to that will help you to improve your online or offline marketing and communication strategy as well as some useful hints that will help you to keep up to date.
«If you’re like most SEOs, you spend a lot of time reading. Over the past several years, I’ve spent 100s of hours studying blogs, guides, and Google patents. Not long ago, I realized that 90% of what I read each day doesn’t change what I actually do» – Cyrus Shepard.
This lengthy article is packed full of great information so you don’t have to trawl the web to find it for yourself. Adapted for SEO beginners to experts it is divided into 25 useful tips:
- Keyword Research: Be smarter in choosing your keywords and avoid general high competition words for more specific and better-adapted keywords.
- Content: Before creating any new content, ask yourself how it could add value to your site, keeping in mind that value takes four main forms: utility, emotional response, point of view, perceived value. Choose the right form and make sure that your content goes into enough depth to answer as many related search queries as possible. Title it accurately, don’t forget to check your content fits in with Google’s regulations. Finally, make it look visually appealing.
- Architecture: You’re not making a single page to rank, you’re making several, and it’s far easier when you create Content Hubs, exploring several topics in depth focused around a central theme.
- On-Page Optimization: Keep in mind that different links have different value, that using keywords in title tags is crucial for ranking and that you’d better to use structured data. Most importantly, remember that ultimately you’re writing for people and not a machine.
- Building links: Remember, that 90% of your effort should go into creating great content and only 10% into link building, but the truth is link building never ends.
As Web Design, User Experience, Search Engine Optimisation, Conversion Rate Optimisation and many other traditionally individual disciplines become more and more unified. Learn how to use them to maximise your site’s success.
Matt Cutts discusses possible changes to the Google algorithm in the coming months that SEOs and webmasters should be aware of. Watch the video and be the one who’s ready for changes.
The sheer amount of data available through Google Analytics is staggering. The problem is knowing how to access the important statistics. It’s really worth learning about these 16 secret, until now, Google Analytics advanced segments.
Internet Memes are the phenomena that could make you wake up famous. Learn how two of the most recent viral memes, Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake, took the Internet by storm.
Read this handy PR guide and learn how not to waste money telling people stories that they are not interested in. People are always looking for solutions to their problems, so the best way to spread the word about your brand is to offer them knowledge.