In order to boost sales, many companies are turning to digital marketing in the quest for Google’s top spot. But claiming the primary search result for your desired keyword is usually a tough challenge. Without the right knowledge and application, marketing campaigns can fall short of the mark. Finding the right SEO company is essential for your business; your choice of SEO company is going to have a huge impact on your results. Many companies are full of big promises, but how should you decide which is right for your requirements? These 5 tips should help you find the right company for your search engine optimisation.
1. Choose your SEO goals wisely
As a team, figure out the goals you’re trying to achieve with SEO. For example, would you like to boost revenue? Increase brand exposure? Or are you trying to increase downloads? Understanding your goal will shape your approach. Many people just want to get to the top of Google, but having an idea why will hone your marketing approach and will help your business dramatically. You’ll be able to judge the suitability of an SEO company based on their strengths and your needs.
2. Narrow down a shortlist of 3-5 SEO agencies
After you have figured out your objectives, choose a few good agencies as a shortlist. Ask friends and family for referrals. Non-competitive companies in your own industry are a great source of information; ask them who they use and if their services are good. Likewise, industry insiders are a great source: start reading SEO blogs or follow SEO experts on Twitter and reach out to some of those influential insiders whose opinion you trust. Ask them who they would recommend.
3. Ask good questions
Plan to meet with some agencies and have a good cache of questions prepared. Here are some examples of good questions:
- What process are you going to use to accomplish our goals? And why do you use those particular processes?
- How do you report metrics and how often do you report them? How do you match up these reports with our goals?
- How much input do you need from us? What resources will we have to commit to, internally?
- What do you do when things aren’t working? How have you solved difficult situations in the past?
- How does Google rank results and what is your process to influence those results? (Broad questions like this demonstrate how well versed a company is in the intricacies of SEO).
If you feel that the company is withholding anything, be on your guard. A good SEO firm will be completely transparent and upfront about their process. There is no secret ingredient to SEO, although some might trick you into believing there is. However, SEO does require constant updating of skills and strategies. It can be extremely competitive, so it needs a real commitment of time and resources.
4. Things to consider in your decision
- Do you trust the company?
- Do they have good referrals and word of mouth reputation?
- Does their communication style match your company’s? Do you have a good feeling about them? Trust your instincts on this one.
- Make sure you have established the price and contract structure. Usually, there’s an upfront payment and then an ongoing monthly fee.
We hope this helps you to find a reputable SEO company that fits your requirements and improves your web marketing strategy. If you have any questions about Relevance’s SEO processes, or if you are interested in our services, please get in touch with us.